[clue-tech] samba printing

Jason S. Friedman jason at powerpull.net
Wed Dec 27 08:50:20 MST 2006

I'm using Ubuntu 5.10 on one machine and Windows XP on the other.  On
the Windows machine I shared my printer.  The name of my workgroup is
HOME, the name of my computer is UPSTAIRS, and the name of my printer is
Deskjet.  I can print from the Windows box.

I issued this command:
$ lpadmin -p Deskjet -E -v smb://me:mypassword@HOME/UPSTAIRS/Deskjet -D
"Upstairs printer"

My smb.conf says:
[global]
   workgroup = HOME
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups
[share]
   encrypt passwords = yes
   path = /opt/samba
   read only = no
   guest ok = yes
   oplocks = no
[Deskjet]
   printing = CUPS
   printable = yes
   printer = Deskjet

I restarted CUPS:
$ /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

$ ll /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 21 Jan  6  2006 /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb ->
../../../bin/smbspool

To print I enter this command:
$ lpr -P Deskjet testfile

 From my windows machine I can see the job in my print queue with the
name "Remote Downlevel Document".  However, the printer is not printing.