[clue-tech] Novell desktop demos

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Sat Feb 4 16:58:23 MST 2006

Matt Gushee wrote:

> Okay, it's very pretty. If you're looking for serious innovation, try here:

Hmm ... I suppose that was a bit harsh. I have no problem with people
developing cool visual effects for the desktop. And all other things
being equal, I'd certainly rather have a beautiful desktop than an ugly
one. I've just gotten very weary of those who pretend that this activity
is going to bring about The Revolution (I don't mean you, Dennis; I'm
talking mainly about the marketroids). As for impressing Windows users
... I've met people who would be very impressed by this kind of stuff.
They're the ones who think "Linnucks is gay" because it doesn't support
their favorite games or the very latest video codecs. Meanwhile, most of
the users I know run one application at a time, maximized, and start to
panic when some command doesn't appear in the expected place in a menu.

If anyone were to ask me, I'd say, let Microsoft own the
desktop-as-we-know-it. Meanwhile, the free software community should put
  its energy into developing the next paradigm in human-computer
interaction. WIMP may last another 5, 10, or 50 years, but not forever.
And Microsoft isn't going to take the lead, because they've got their
hands full developing products for the short term. And even though
they're ungodly good at buying time with vaporware, even they have to
put up or shut up before very long.

--
Matt Gushee