[clue-tech] Asterisk

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Tue Feb 7 14:18:58 MST 2006

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I'm researching VoIP for
my office in Denver and I have many, many questions.  I'm considering
setting up an Asterisk PBX Server, but before I even begin doing that, I
need some questions answered from a very newbie perspective.  We have an
existing traditional phone system which we rent from the landlords of
the building.  I know they have an old PBX running it.  We will have an
entirely new system which I hope to piggy-back off our existing T1 line.
  So, my largest question is, how does this work?  Meaning, I assume
I'll need a provider of some kind of route phone calls to specific
numbers to my PBX server running off my T1.  I'm curious as to what my
options are and how this works. I would just like a general explanation
of how the calls get routed to the PBX running on my network, etc.  Once
I get that figured out, I'll start playing with Asterisk and possibly
attempting to set it up here.