[clue-tech] New territory

Matt Atkins matthewsatkins at msn.com
Tue Feb 7 22:47:22 MST 2006

Hello All!!!

I have been lurking around this list for 2 years now, just waiting for my
opportunity to join in the fun.  I was bottle fed on Windows and have been
working with and supporting it for 7 years.  After many years of paying my
dues, I finally found my dream job.  It's a small, but growing company with
a small business mentality and a growing budget.  I have all Windows 2000
and some 2003 servers.  I have SonicWALL firewalls at each one of my sites
with a site to site VPN in a hub and spoke config.  I have been at this
company for almost a year now, and I have babysat the SonicWALL's from the
beginning.  I have problems with the site to site VPN tunnels, I have
problems with the remote VPN access for sales and IT department, and I have
problems with the intergrated, SonicWALL version of McAfee.  I am coming up
at the end of service agreements, warranties, and antivirus subscriptions.
I got permission from my boss to look into a Linux server/firewall solution
to replace the SonicWALLs.  He wants me to come up with a cost justification
on making the switch, and a basic plan of the configuration of the machine.
I am positive that I can get some great ideas from this list.

I look forward to your ideas.

Thanks.

Matt Atkins