[clue-tech] Asterisk

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed Feb 8 13:38:19 MST 2006

Hi Chris,

Chris Hirsch wrote:

> If you want to do fax receiving to real fax machines you want to look
> into the FXS cards (or modules) that Digium sells. Then you can plug fax
> machines into those and Asterisk will detect fax tones and route faxes
> there. Asterisk is also capable of receiving faxes itself and routing
> them to email addresses. A couple of years ago I had this working with
> about half of the incoming faxes (older faxes seemed to work better than
> newer) but it wasn't reliable. I've heard that major advances have
> happened here and things should be better now. I'm actually looking into
> this and should hopefully have a better answer here in the next few weeks.

Could you please elaborate on how you had this working?  What did you
do to receive faxes into Asterisk?

I knew Asterisk could recognize a fax tone on an incoming call and
transfer it to another station like a fax machine (or faxmodem) plugged
into an FXS card.  Is this what you did?

I've looked at t38modem but it seemed difficult to get working; were
you successful in doing this?  If so how did you get it to work?  For
the unfamiliar I think t38modem could run as a "channel" in Asterisk
and is a software implementation of a fax dsp.  Therefore Asterisk
could

I receive faxes on the same box that I run Asterisk but I use
mgetty+sendfax to run the external faxmodem, which is not plugged
into anything that has anything to do with Asterisk.  mgetty+sendfax
e-mails me the faxes, not Asterisk. Of course Asterisk e-mails me
voicemails.  I'm interested to know how you combined the faxing with
Asterisk.

Thanks,
Jim

--