[clue-tech] I/O Error when attempting to remove an empty (corrupt?) directory

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Thu Feb 9 10:27:13 MST 2006

List,

I am unable to destroy a broken directory on my file system
(RHEL/CentOS4).  The following is a screen capture of the problem at work:

[root at kenshin ~]# cd /mnt/broken
[root at kenshin broken]# dir
total 16
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 Feb  7 14:42 .
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 4096 Feb  9 09:59 ..
[root at kenshin broken]# rm -rf dnszones
rm: cannot lstat `dnszones': Input/output error

I broke this directory when I attempted to mount it to a samba share on
another (Windows NT 4) machine.  While the logon I used should have
worked, it did not and I am unable to recover.

I have tried stopping smb before issuing the rm -- no change.  I have
tried remounting the share (with smb running) to no avail.  At this
point, I just want this broken directory off my HDD.

Any ideas?  Thanks!