[clue-tech] Which computer to use for Linux firewall??

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Thu Feb 9 12:53:20 MST 2006

On Thursday 09 February 2006 02:26 pm, Matt Atkins wrote:
> What kind of horsepower do I need for a dedicated Linux firewall, running
> IPCop, for example??  I need to put together a proposal and cost comparison
> for my boss, and I need to know the amount of money I need for hardware.
> I've heard stories of Linux servers running on a PII with 256MB RAM.  I
> obviously can't buy any new PII or PIII's, but what about a new 2.53 Ghz
> Celeron from Dell??  I can get one for between $300 and $400.

FWIW,  I'm running a firewall/router for my dialup connection using a
486dx2/66.  Not using IPCOP,  I'm using Slackware,  pared down to the bare
essentials.  This replaced a similar setup that was running on a 386dx40 that
was lost to a lightning hit last year,  the setup in that one fit into an 80M
drive with a 16M swap partition and the 60-some-odd-M left had room to
spare...

-
M Dakin