[clue-tech] Multiple system backups

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Sat Feb 11 15:33:10 MST 2006

Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 January 2006 10:34 pm, William wrote:
>
>>Dave Price wrote:
>>
>>>I have been using a different technique myself that I got from a book on
>>>perl  tools for windows - it creates a  rotation of zip files on a
>>>remote drive, which can easily be burnt to CD if added security needed.
>>>
>>>I would be happy to post the  perl code if  anyone is interested.
>>
>>I'm interested.  I have my own similar script, but written in bash
>>script rather than Perl.  I'd like to compare; your's might be more
>>robust than mine.
>

> OTOH,  I wouldn't mind looking at that bash script,  as well.

Okay, so this is an old thread from last month.  Well, I finally have
something to show for it.  I was, at first, embarrassed that my shell
script wasn't worth sharing, mostly because it was primitive and not at
all portable.

I revisited the question and wrote a whole new shell script for
automated backups that is generally useful and, I believe, portable.  If
nothing else, it is pretty robust for my first attempt at a good shell
script.  I've decided to publish it and share.  :)

Details are at:  http://www.kimballstuff.com/projects/nix/

Feedback is welcome.

--
William Kimball, Jr.