[clue-tech] Son's PC and intro to programming

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Wed Feb 15 11:17:12 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 10:27 -0700, Greg Knaddison wrote:
> On 2/15/06, daniel aguilar <danoco at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Suggestions on a good BEGINNERS programming language
> > would be welcomed; linux based the better.
>
> Python is a great one.  It's about as easy and useful of a beginners
> language as you can get.  Lots of high schools and universities are
> using it.
>
> Let the CLUE language flame-off begin!

Python SUX!  Ruby is the One True Language.  (And vi is the One True
Editor.)  Plus, learning Ruby early will prevent you from trying to
write it like Perl or Python, as I see some do (and, well, I do, being
from a Perl background.)

And with Ruby comes Rails, thus ensuring job opportunities for the next
few weeks (until the next big thing).

Also, I should put in a word for Fortran 95/200x, cause, you know, it
rulz.

Matt

--
The mayfly lives only one day, and sometimes it rains. - Geo. Carlin
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/