[clue-tech] Son's PC and intro to programming

bof bof at pcisys.net
Wed Feb 15 22:12:24 MST 2006

daniel aguilar wrote:

>Also, looking for TrueBASIC for linux or windows.

www.truebasic.com --- supposedly the demo version is free.
You can also try Gambas, the open source Visual Basic equivalent. at
http://gambas.sourceforge.net/
Or RealBasic, also supposedly free, at http://realsoftware.com/store/new.php

>Suggestions on a good BEGINNERS programming language would be welcomed; linux based the better.

I've just started working with it, but so far I am impressed with
Python, and think it would be a good starter language that would not
teach bad habits that would have to be unlearned later on, as might the
Basic-based languages.

Once done with that, then I would consider C, as it is still the lingua
franca of programming, and then Java.

OTOH, if you want to teach a language that would be guaranteed to keep
your kids quiet for days on end, you could start with Assembler. Or C++. <g>

BOF