[clue-tech] OT: Tabs vs. Spaces in Source (Was: Son's PC and intro to programming)

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Thu Feb 16 16:37:20 MST 2006

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> I don't want to start a religious debate, but ignoring presentation (and
> mixed tabs+spaces, that's stupid) why don't tabs make more sense in Python?

Religious zealots will tell you that some software (editors, parsers,
etc.) don't handle the embedded tab character correctly.  I can't
remember where, but I ran into a web site a while back where the author
literally spent an entire page arguing avidly against using tab
characters in ANY source code, regardless of language.  Some people
choose to crusade strongly on this "issue".

It is my opinion that any software which cannot handle the tab character
properly should be fixed, but there are a lot of crazy people out there
who will likely say otherwise for reasons that are probably obscure and
should be resolved after all these years.  ;)  Because this is a
religious matter, this will be my only post on this thread.  I've added
my opinion, and that's about all that any of us can do on this
particular matter.

In any event, aren't we all WAY off-topic here?