[clue-tech] Son's PC and intro to programming

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Thu Feb 16 21:22:12 MST 2006

David L. Anselmi wrote:

> This continues to puzzle me.  I think tab characters are the obvious
> way to indent code.  One level, one tab.  Two levels, two tabs.  How
> much screen space that is is a presentation issue and modern editors
> handle your preference fine (even for different programmers on the
> same file).

I think the problem is when someone wants to do something like this:

if (A)
   write("Some function with a really long parameter list
         that I want to wrap to the next line.  (Or better
         yet, do this with the boolean expression above.)");

In the above a lot of people (including myself) want to have some
special alignment for really long stuff, and that special alignment
usually doesn't fall exactly upon the tab(s).  This inevitably creates a
situation where you have mixed tabs and spaces, which is the true evil.
If you can avoid ever using spaces, then tabs are fine.  It's just
easier to avoid using tabs.

Angelo