[clue-tech] Son's PC and intro to programming

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Feb 17 09:20:24 MST 2006

Dave Gray wrote:

> On 2/16/06, *Angelo Bertolli* <angelo at freeshell.org
> <mailto:angelo at freeshell.org>> wrote:
>
>     I think the problem is when someone wants to do something like this:
>
>     if (A)
>        write("Some function with a really long parameter list
>              that I want to wrap to the next line.  (Or better
>              yet, do this with the boolean expression above.)");
>

>     In the above a lot of people (including myself) want to have some
>     special alignment for really long stuff, and that special alignment
>     usually doesn't fall exactly upon the tab(s).  This inevitably
>     creates a
>     situation where you have mixed tabs and spaces, which is the true
>     evil.
>     If you can avoid ever using spaces, then tabs are fine.  It's just
>     easier to avoid using tabs.
>

> IIRC, you can indent stuff like that however you like as long as you
> do it inbetween matching parentheses.

The annoying thing is that in most editors will mix the tabs and spaces
for you.  In the above, as soon I get past the line starting with "that"
editors tend to add an extra tab + spaces to auto indent for me, instead
of just adding spaces past the point where "write" starts.  And it only
really matters when I give someone my code who uses 5-space tab stops
instead of 3-space tab stops like I do.