[clue-tech] Multiple system backups

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Feb 19 17:30:36 MST 2006

William wrote:
[...]
> I have a couple of systems with daemons that are not hooked by service
> or chkconfig.  Before I pushed my first version of this backup script,
> this problem was in the back of my mind.

chkconfig seems to rely on header comments in the init.d scripts.  So if
you have a daemon that chkconfig doesn't handle the magic may be missing
from its script.  I would guess that service(8) also has some
configuration info somewhere and that adding a daemon to its control is
easily done.

> When David listed my reliance on service as a weakness in
> portability, I saw opportunity to address my own concern with his at
> the same time.  As a result, the hooks I put into my script work with
> -- literally -- any command or call to another script.  To
> demonstrate (and to fix my own issue with the two daemons in that
> demo script), I wrote service-control -- which is probably more than
> most people would need to temporarily stop/start daemons for the
> backup run, but it was another good exercise.  :)

The Debian package that contains service(8) is sysvconfig.  Its
sysvconfig(8) seems similar to chkconfig but Debian doesn't seem to have
a package that provides chkconfig.  No packages depend on sysvconfig so
it is only installed if you specifically ask for it.  (Only 84 systems
use it regularly: http://popcon.debian.org/source/by_inst.)

And even though chkconfig isn't packaged, it would be easy enough to
install it from source (which might also be the case for service(8) on
Solaris, IRIX, AIX, ...)  My comment wasn't so much to point out a
weakness in portability as to point out an assumption you had made and
that some dependency info is missing from your install instructions.
(Leaving out a copyright and license statement might be considered a
weakness).

That's not meant as a criticism--your script is an interesting
discussion piece.  But if you really want people to consider using it
you might look at how other, similar, GNU packages are put together.