[clue-tech] [OT?]How do I multiboot Windows NT 3.51 and Windows2000?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Feb 24 16:39:10 MST 2006

Hex Star wrote:
> Hi, I'm getting a NetServer LH3R with 6 9GB SCSI drives installed and 2
> Pentium III 500MHz processors along with 1GB of RAM and 2 10/100 NICs and I
> would like to multiboot on it Windows NT 3.51 and Windows2000.

Do you think NT 3.51 will actually run on that?  I think it was
end-of-life before the PIII was invented.  So it may not like your PCI
bus, your dual CPUs, your NICs, your video card, or anything else.

Look at:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html

and search for "boot" and read the likely looking docs.  You'll find
what you need there although you might have to do some fooling with the
bootable/active flags on your partitions to get NT and 2k to cooperate.

> ...and thus would feel kind of guilty not putting this OS I just
> bought into use

Don't feel guilty.  Other than the intricacies of boot sectors and the
NT installer that you learn I doubt you'll get anything out of dual
booting NT (or are you an archaeologist?)  So throwing away NT doesn't
really set you back any further than you are...

I'm surprised at the directly unhelpful replies you got.  This list
usually puts up with all kinds of stupid, OT questions :-)  But it used
to be that Linux lists were the only place to learn anything about dual
booting.  (But if you find a Windows list that's helpful, even they will
laugh at you for using NT I think.)

Good luck!