[clue-tech] [OT?]How do I multiboot Windows NT 3.51 and Windows2000?

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Fri Feb 24 23:18:26 MST 2006

Hex Star wrote:
> Wow, NT 3.51 is really that old? Guess it should be fairly obvious of
> such due to the fact that NT 3.51 has the interface also seen in Windows
> 3.1...however one thing I find interesting is the fact that despite it
> having the interface of a 16bit OS (namely windows 3.1) it apparently
> can run 32bit programs? This is not a production server and as such I
> thought this would be a good time to play with some server OSes...NT has
> always captured my interest due to its robustness, high security, and
> administration tools...and to me I don't care how old software is, if it
> can do something useful or is fun to play with I like it, a program
> doesn't have to have a flashy interface or 3D graphics for me to like it
> :-)

In my opinion -- and that's all this is -- I believe you've missed the
point to "toying with OSes".  This isn't about "a flashy interface or 3D
graphics."  The fundamental reason to toy with any OS is to learn it.
The reason to learn an OS is to build skills that will contribute to
your livelihood.  The number one contributor to any individual's
livelihood is their source of income; AKA their job or any future job.
When you toy with an OS, you are adding to your marketability when --
and only when -- the skills you are gaining are, or will be, in demand.

Windows NT 3.51 died a very long time ago.  Windows NT 4.0 died within
the last year.  When a product reaches its "End-of-Life", that means the
vendor won't support it any further.  That means no updates, no security
patches, and no technical support.  Whatever Windows NT is vulnerable
to, it will forever be vulnerable to.  Learning Windows NT today serves
no benefit to anyone in the present or the future.

I was an Assistant Network Administrator during the era of transfer from
Windows NT 3.51 to Windows NT 4.  I helped move major corporate network
systems from Windows NT 3.51 (and Novell servers) to Windows NT 4.0.  At
that time, my Windows NT administrative skill set was both beneficial
and marketable.  There was a place for Windows NT servers and those who
knew how to manage them.  Today, no one cares that I can guide NT
administrative tasks blind (as in, over the phone).  No one needs
someone like me to help them recover a failed NTFS installation after a
bad driver installation (anyone remember the nightmare that was Service
Pack 3?).

Continuing to force Windows NT 3.51 onto a modern PC (Pentium III, as
you said) is a waste of time.  Insisting on Windows NT 4.0 is equally
so.  Just because you can, or are inclined to do so, does not mean it is
a good idea or the right thing to spend your resources on.  Invest in a
newer, supported, more secure operating system and you will probably
open potential career paths that are presently not available to you.

I'll be totally honest with you.  I know Linux today only because I
could not afford to keep up with Windows Server platforms.  It is just
too expensive and when it dies, that's it -- you have to invest in all
new hardware, all new OS licensing fees, and all new Microsoft Support
plans.  I was bred on (Commodore 64, then Apple II, then Tandy, then)
MS-DOS 3 (through 6) and I grew up with Windows.  Even today, I slant
toward Windows as I still don't personally recognize Linux as the kind
of workstation platform that meets my needs.  I didn't want Linux, but
it became my only option when I needed to grow.

Today, I run Linux (CentOS) on 5 out of 7 of my home servers.  I was
always curious, in an "appreciation for the underdog kind-of-way", about
Unix/Linux and I had a need to start hosting my own Internet services at
home.  That was 5 years ago.  Today, my home network is running strong
and I feel quite comfortable with the Linux command-line (I don't
install any graphical environments).

As for the other two machines, one is Windows NT 4.0 and the other is
Windows 2000 Server.  At $800 a pop for the Windows OSes, that was all
that I could afford, and in the case of the NT 4 machine, it is a
first-generation Pentium/100MHz box that can't really run much else.
Besides, it is the network PDC and file server, which drives all of my
family's workstation logons and file security (all Windows XP Pro).

In the end, you have to ask yourself why you are determined to install
Windows NT 3.51, a dead OS that will bring you no benefit.  Setting
aside a want to satisfy intellectual curiosity, you'll only find
second-hand software for it -- and nothing appreciable by today's
standards.  Any skill you may derive from "the experience" of installing
or using it is moot.  You can't use that skill anywhere that would pay.
  That path is a dead end which offers no pragmatic advantage.

of Windows 2000 Server or, better, Windows 2003 Server.  Learn how to
install and administer either or both of those OSes.  Dual-boot them
with any (SMP/multi-CPU) Enterprise Linux breed.  This will build skills
that you can use and sell.  I can safely claim to be a versed Network
Administrator.  I deal with a respectable, mixed environment at home and
a large corporate (all Windows) network at work.  I assert to others
that I have learned to apply OSes like tools; each to the right job.  So
long as Windows continues to dominate the workstation realm, I will
continue to keep up with Microsoft.  In recognizing the potential and
powerful utility of Linux, I will also keep up with Red Had and descendants.

You could do the same, but you have to start by letting go of the
worthless things that will only waste your time, money, and energy.  You
don't have to leave Windows, but you need to forget NT 3 and NT 4.

--
William Kimball, Jr.
http://www.kimballstuff.com/

Catch me on-line!