[clue-tech] [OT?]How do I multiboot Windows NT 3.51 and Windows2000?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Feb 25 10:33:54 MST 2006

Hex Star wrote:
[...]
> True it probably won't yeild any skills I can use for business but I'm just
> a teen in highschool

So NT 3.51 is older than you are. :-)

> with no job as of yet and probably won't be able to get a good
> computer management job around here until I get into college so I
> might as well enjoy toying with useless software until then ;-)

Nonsense.  There's a Debian developer (not an easy thing to become) who
was already a DD at the age of 12.  You have a great opportunity to use
the time you have to learn something useful and contribute to the Free
Software community.  What you learn doing that will help you know what
kinds of jobs you want to do and get the education you need to do them.

Here are 3 areas where you can contribute.  Pick the one you think is
most interesting and do it.  But dabble in the other two so you learn
how they fit together.

Programming - you can help add features or fix bugs in any language you
want.  You may have to explore a bit to find a project that fits your
style and skill level but there are many out there.  Look at their bug
and TODO lists and read their code.  Even if you don't manage to
contribute anything important you'll learn a lot.

Integration - this is what the Debian developers and other package
maintainers do.  They take individual programs and figure out the
"right" way to install them on a given system.  That includes figuring
out how they get installed, configured, upgraded, and uninstalled.  The
Debian bug tracking system is loaded with work to do in this area
(pretty much anything that doesn't say upstream on it is likely to be an
integration bug).

System administration - this is where figuring out how to make computers
do what people need done happens.  There's a lot to it--networking,
desktop, database, clustering, security, the list goes on and on.  Build
your own system and maintain it (backups, upgrades) and you'll get a
feel for things that the programmers and integrators can do to make
their packages more useful.  If you have a broadband Internet
connection, run yourself a blog or wiki or mail server or something.

Here's what I would do with your servers.  Install Linux.  If you like
GUI desktops use one of those.  Once it works for email and web surfing
follow the directions to build a system at linuxfromscratch.org.  That
will teach you how Free Software gets built and how your system works
underneath all the packaging.  By the time you get done with that you'll
have an idea what you like and can direct yourself.  All the information
you need is available (on-line mostly, but at your library if you like
reading books).

It sounds like you have a bit to learn about your hardware (sounds like
it has a RAID, can you make that go?)  You'll have a much easier time
learning it and getting it to work with Linux than with old versions of
Windows.  Sure, new Windows will probably work fine but you won't learn
as much.