[clue-tech] Problems with debian kernel 2.6.15 for 686

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Feb 27 20:22:59 MST 2006

After installing kernel 2.6.15 on my laptop, my laptop suddenly won't
boot from that kernel.  It doesn't even get to init.  It seems to not be
able to find the gzip module on startup.  I wrote down the errors since
all I get is BusyBox when I boot:

... some hardware detection stuff here ...
Begin:  Mounting root filesystem ...
Begin:  Running /scripts/local-top ...
Done.
Begin:  Running /scripts/local-premount
Attempting manual resume
Done.
FATAL:  Module gzip not found
mount:  Mounting /dev/hda3 on /root failed:  No such device

After that it can't find /sys or /proc, and in the end says there's no
/sbin/init.  Need I continue?

Anyway, this is actually my second try after having reinstalled Debian
from scratch.  The first time, I installed this kernel and splashy
together.  The result was that the original kernel was also performing
these kinds of machinations also (hence the reinstall).  Seems that it's
a problem with the way Debian is setting up kernels right now, and
splashy does some stuff with init ram which probably screwed up the
original kernel too.  At least that's my guess.

Anyone having this problem?  (If not, maybe you can try installing
another kernel you don't use, but I wouldn't recommend reinstalling any
kernels you want right now.)

Angelo