[clue-tech] Problems with debian kernel 2.6.15 for 686

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Feb 28 12:33:39 MST 2006

David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>
>> After installing kernel 2.6.15 on my laptop, my laptop suddenly won't
>> boot from that kernel.  It doesn't even get to init.  It seems to not
>> be able to find the gzip module on startup.  I wrote down the errors
>> since all I get is BusyBox when I boot:
>

> It does boot, but it fails to switch from its initrd to your root fs.
> I noticed something on a 2.6.15 upgrade that seemed to indicate
> they've changed the initrd stuff (this was on testing and the upgrade
> went smoothly).  So you might look at what initrd packages you have
> (yaird, initramfs-tools, ...) and check the BTS for bugs against it.

Actually that's the weird thing--it works fine on my desktop.

>> ... some hardware detection stuff here ...
>> Begin:  Mounting root filesystem ...
>> Begin:  Running /scripts/local-top ...
>> Done.
>> Begin:  Running /scripts/local-premount
>> Attempting manual resume
>> Done.
>> FATAL:  Module gzip not found
>> mount:  Mounting /dev/hda3 on /root failed:  No such device
>

> The /scripts stuff is probably from the initrd.  Is there any reason
> you might need gzip to mount /dev/hda3?  Obviously if you can't mount
> your root partition nothing useful will happen.  Perhaps the initrd
> doesn't support your root fs, or you need to rebuild the initrd (the
> man pages should tell you how).

I'm not sure they're related directly.  My boot partition is on
/dev/hda1, and my root partition is on /dev/hda3 (had to do this because
the BIOS was having problems getting to wherever the kernel happened to
land on the disk).  I was thinking gzip was needed for uncompressing
something in /boot/ and after that failed, it couldn't mount /dev/hda3

My original kernel was working, and when I saw last night that there was
a new package available for the problem kernel mentioned above, I
thought "great the must have fixed it" and went ahead and installed it,
thinking it couldn't be any worse than now anyway.  Well somehow
installing it also messed up my "good" kernel like it did the very first
time when I also installed splashy.

> Assuming you have initramfs-tools you might check:

Thanks, I will.