[clue-tech] Problems with debian kernel 2.6.15 for 686

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Feb 28 22:52:21 MST 2006

David L. Anselmi wrote:

> The only time I've ever seen the kernel unable to mount / is when it
> doesn't have a driver it needs.  The no such device error means that
> /dev/hda3 doesn't exist.  It is probably created by udev which means
> that the hardware detection doesn't work (a udev bug, maybe?) or
> there's no module for it (in the initrd).
>
> So if you get to a busybox shell when this happens, you can poke
> around and see what the initrd scripts want to do, what modules are
> available, what /dev looks like, what /proc/pci looks like, and
> generally try to make /dev/hda3 appear by hand.

Actually, I have no problems mounting /dev/hda3 by hand, using chroot,
and running the init.d scripts to get the system booted by hand--but of
course I don't want to do that every time.

> But in the end I think your initrd is just broke and if you run the
> command to rebuild it (in the bug link I posted) that will fix things.

I noticed the command, but didn't have a chance to try it before I just
decided to reinstall.  Maybe I'll go through the procedures again to
recreate the problem and try it.  I did submit another bug (I think--I
used reportbug but didn't receive any feedback).

> You haven't said what initrd you're using or what your other kernel is
> (to see why that might be affected as well).

I have this installed:
ii  initramfs-tools                 0.52b                       tools
for generating an initramfs
ii  initrd-tools                    0.1.84                      tools to
create initrd image for prepackaged Linux kernel