[clue-tech] multiple plone sites

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Jan 7 15:13:01 MST 2006

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

>> I like to use virtual hosts exclusively, and I'm going to start
>> testing out plone.  I was hoping someone on the list is experienced
>> with plone to give me some advice.  I want to create multiple plone
>> sites (on multiple hosts), at what level do I need to make multiple
>> instances?  Do I just need to make multiple instances of plone, or do
>> I need to make multiple instances of zope?
>

> Well, the answer (at least in my case) is to make one Zope server and
> install multiple Plone sites in it.  But after dealing with Plone for a
> couple of days, I'm ready to give up.  The amount of complexity isn't
> worth the abilities that this system can manage.  I still can't get
> Apache Rewrites to work to mask the site URL, but maybe that's a problem
> I'm having with Apache.

There was a pretty good article in this month's Linux Journal that was
mostly editorial about the advantages/disadvantages of various web
frameworks.  The "At the Forge" article.

The author summarized Zope similarly to your comments -- great when you
need the complexity, too complex when you don't.

He seems to like the latest Ruby on Rails stuff.  I can't say whether or
not I agree yet, but I did pick up a copy of one of the books on Rails
and have a project that I need to do that is a database-driven website.

So far, in a couple of partial nights playing with Rails, I like it.  It
helps me create stuff I would never take the time to write from scratch.
 I'm just a sysadmin, not a coder really, and it's nice to have the
"scaffolding" to start from.

Nate