[clue-tech] Multiple system backups

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Thu Jan 12 14:57:46 MST 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 08:05:03PM -0500, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> What I'm trying to come up with is something that:
>
> * is simple and straightforward, and allows me to backup only certain
> parts of the directory tree
> * can be run whenever I feel like backing up all of my computers
> * burns the backups to DVD (although not necessarily directly--a copy on
> my second drive is fine)
> * makes restoring certain files easy
>
> Automates backups aren't necessary, but would be nice on a weekly or
> monthly basis (of course this would be to disk and not DVD)

I have used a utility called "split-tar" that is available from this url:

   http://www.informatik-vollmer.de/software/split-tar.html

I use this in a weekly crontab entry /etc/cron.weekly/backup.cron:

#!/bin/sh
# Run backups weekly.  Save output in /var/spool/backups.
# Each backup file is ~1.5Gb (avoid 2Gb limit and fit 3 files on a 4.7Gb DVD)
#
BDIR=/var/spool/backups
MOUNTCHECK=true

# Ensure that BDIR is mounted...
if $MOUNTCHECK && ! mount | grep $BDIR >/dev/null
then    echo "$BDIR is not mounted!  Aborting backup"
        exit 1
fi

rm -rf $BDIR/*.tgz
cd /
/usr/local/bin/split-tar -c -s1500M $BDIR/$(date +%Y%m%d).tgz \
        etc home usr/local var/www

------
This creates a set of backup tar files on a filesystem mounted from
a different machine.  From there, I burn three files at a time to
a DVD.

I backup the /etc, /home, /usr/local, and /var/www trees, but this is
obviously easily changable.

--
Marcus Hall
marcus at tuells.org