[clue-tech] Groups in groups?

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Sun Jan 15 19:42:35 MST 2006

List,

I could be wrong, but I believe I've read somewhere before that this was
possible; albeit unusual.  I need to add a group as a member of another
group in /etc/group to effectively combine the two groups.  I've checked
with man and Google to no avail.

Example:  Have two groups, called group1 and group2.

group1:x:3000:user1,user2,user3
group2:x:3100:user5,user1,user7

For whatever reason (yes, I have adequate reason), you want to modify
group2 like:

group2:x:3100:user5,user1,user6,[group1]

In effect, the users that are distinct to group2 and not in group1 do
not adopt access rights to group1 resources, but all users in group1 and
group2 have access to group2 resources.  It would be impractical for me
to create and maintain yet another group to combine these user groups
properly.

What syntax do I use to achieve this goal?  I have tried exactly what is
in the above example (which is what I thought the syntax was to do
this), but it didn't work.

Thanks!

--
William Kimball, Jr.