[clue-tech] eSATA, anyone know about this?

Jef Barnhart jef at batky-howell.com
Mon Jan 16 08:38:42 MST 2006

SATA for external enclosures.

You will start to see this more with external raid or disk boxes.The
part that I want is libata to support hot swapping devices. From what I
see it is still just a dream.

http://linux.yyz.us/sata/
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hotplug support
libata supports host controller hotplug ("yank the card").

All SATA devices are hotplug-capable.

libata does not support device hotplug ("yank the drive")... yet.

Update: Lukasz Kosewski has contributed an initial implementation of
SATA device hotplug.

The following SATA controllers will never support hotplug: Intel ICH5,
Intel ICH5-R, Intel ICH6 (non-AHCI), Pacific Digital Talon (ADMA),
Promise SATA SX4.

These controllers do not export enough information about the SATA phy to
make it possible to support hotplug. In some cases, such as Intel
ICH5/ICH6, it is possible to support "coldplug" operation: the user
informs the OS driver he wishes to disconnect his SATA device, rather
than simply disconnecting it.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Once that happens...

I have experimented with "cold plug". With the OS on a standard IDE
interface and the sata holding the data that I wanted.

1) unmount the the drive.
2) remove the drivers.
3) unplug the drive.
4) plug in the drive.
5) load drivers.
6) mount

The sata interface is ready for "hot-plugging" electrically. Just
waiting for software.

Jef