[clue-tech] Groups in groups? -- IMPOSSIBLE (?)

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 01:15:20 MST 2006

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/groupmapping.html

> " UNIX/Linux has no concept of support for nested
> groups"

I like the logic and set notation used in the
referenced paper...
Makes me kinda wonder.

The point is that of course the suggested structure of
/etc/group doesn't work. Look at /usr/include/grp.h.
The pointer **gr_mem is clearly defined to point to
user names. I suspect that this is tied to
/usr/include/pwd.h but don't care enough to trace
system calls anymore.

Other alternitives are NIS (aka Yellow Pages) or LDAP
or perhaps kerberos and PAM. The assigning of roles
was a strong point of VMS-->Windows.