[clue-tech] foreign keys in phpmyadmin

Christopher J Pomasl pomasl at starband.net
Fri Jan 20 13:52:25 MST 2006

From what I have seen, and this is changing by the release, PostgreSQL has a
bit more mature SQL dialect.  Supporting this though is a more robust engine
with all its incumbent overhead.

MySQL seems to have come from a swift top-down approach that was perfect for
driving dynamic webpages.  Once through the data and we're done.

PostgreSQL has more of a transaction approach where it is easier to build web
applications with the requisite locking and transactionary steps needed to
keep simultaneous accesses in check.

I haven't had much exposure to Postgres but when I once needed views and more
robust SQL, I had to turn to Postgres because MySQL, at the time, did not
support what I needed.

Chris

On Fri January 20 2006 1:13 pm, Dan Harris so notably scribed:
> d manion wrote:
> > The SQL debate, I think, is a trend that I'm starting to hear as well.
> > "PostreSQL is better than MySQL", from what I've heard (with my
> > limited knowledge) PostreSQL does sound Kick-ass, but harder to
> > configure? To get to my point.
> >
> > What databases are you guys using?
>
> My company relies on Postgres to handle a web app with 24/7 access,
> 6000+ users and about 250 gig of online db storage.  It is heavily
> OLAP-oriented.  I love Postgres, managing it is a dream compared to some
> other well-known commercial offerings..
>
> -Dan

Christopher J Pomasl
Senior Software Engineer, Computer Associates
Always remember, you are unique...just like everyone else.
IBM Certified, DB2 Z/OS V7 Administration, User