[clue-tech] foreign keys in phpmyadmin

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 17:05:41 MST 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 9:21 am, d manion wrote:
> What databases are you guys using?

I use postgres because [until MySQL developers got a clue] it was the only one
of the two that supported triggers and foreign keys.  If you look at the
archives of the MySQL 3.2 manual they even had a statement explaining why a
database doesn't need referential contraints.

As a former database developer, I think that referential constraints (FKs in
particular) are important part of keeping data clean by enforcing data rules
at the database layer.  Before MySQL 5, application developers would have to
enforce data rules.  I worked on a few applications w/o referential
constraints in the database layer and generally they had many problems
related to data integrity.

IMHO - postgres is easier to configure than mysql - I find mysql's permission
table goofy and harder than it should be - but I'm biased.

Jeff
--
Social justice cannot be attained by violence.
Violence kills what it intends to create.