[clue-tech] Re: Upgrading HDDs in an LVM configuration? -- SOLVED

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Sun Jan 22 14:23:19 MST 2006

Russell Glissmann wrote:

 > Just as a warning, I followed these instructions and added a smaller
drive into a system and the instructions worked perfect.  However, on
another system I added a much larger drive and caused the system to
crash and burn.  I couldn't tell you now what the exact error was, but
it was something related to LVM.  So, as usual, be careful!

Understood.  I upgraded two machines last night and one crashed pretty
hard -- but it was my own fault.  Not understanding Red Hat's choice in
naming the LVM segments, I inadvertently added 200G to the swap LVM.
Turns out it's impossible to then remove that segment from swap because
it's *always* in use.  No matter what I tried, I could not release the
segment.  When I used a --force option, I hosed the machine.   LVM was
throwing errors left and right, so I rebooted and found that the machine
was lost; couldn't even boot it for a "kernel panic".

Luckily, I had a backup from only hours before.  Four hours and a full
reinstall later, I had the machine back up with the new drive where it
should be.  LVM is cool, but it isn't at all intuitive.  I hope future
versions will have a more streamlined interface (it took forever to
figure out the difference between the various command prefixes; lv, pv,
pg, etc) that also has better safeguards.

--
William Kimball, Jr.
http://www.kimballstuff.com/

Catch me on-line!