[clue-tech] Unexpected Reboots

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Jan 28 11:26:31 MST 2006

William wrote:
> List,
>
> One of my RHEL/CentOS servers appears to be restarting itself
> unexpectedly.  This machine is an unattended server (there is no
> workstation for someone to sit at) which runs 24/7.  After reviewing the
> logs, I cannot identify any reason for this behavior.  In fact, the
> whole reboot process looks clean (no errors, no corruption), as if
> deliberate.

The only time I've seen this sort of thing is when the power fails.  But
you've already ruled that out (or could it be that the box isn't really
on the UPS, or on a flaky outlet/cord/whatever).

What do the filesystems say on reboot?  If it's really power loss or CPU
overheating you should see a message that they aren't clean and either
need fsck or journal recovery.  If they're always clean coming up it
would mean they've been unmounted on shutdown.  Your auth.log or root's
.bashrc might have some info about them being shutdown on purpose.