[clue-tech] Sound problems w/ Jack

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Tue Jan 31 12:11:27 MST 2006

Roy J. Tellason wrote:

> You don't mention any sort of a preamp in there,  between the sound card and
> the preamp input.

Actually, I mentioned that I *don't* have a preamp ... but that I could
nonetheless obtain a fairly clean (though low-volume) recording using
arecord, which interfaces directly with the alsa drivers. But that's not
the main thing I want to do right now.

> What kind of pickup is it?  A magnetic pickup of the sort
> that's used on the typical electric guitar

As I said, it's an *acoustic guitar* pickup. Specifically, it's a Dean
Markley Artist Transducer model--a basic piezoelectric pickup that
sticks (with a putty-like adhesive) to the top of the guitar near the
bridge.

> impedance of whatever you have it plugged into,  so you want a preamp in
> there with a fairly high input impedance.  You also want to be able to match
> up "normal" levels,  the output of a pickup being significantly lower than
> the "line level" that the sound card input is optimized for.

Yes, I realize that ... and if and when I get to the point of trying to
produce something even semi-professional, I'll need a bunch of new
stuff--new computer, new sound card, maybe a new guitar too--and I need
to get my musical skills back at least to where they were 20 years ago.
But for now, I'm just experimenting on a very limited budget. And based
on various observations I strongly suspect that there's a problem with
my current installation of Jack (or perhaps the way I'm trying to use it).

> It wouldn't take much of a preamp,  a transistor or two and a 9V battery
> should take care of it.

Hmm, okay ... can you describe more specifically what you mean? If it
can be bought or assembled for 20-30 bucks I'll do it. Anything more
pricey than that will have to wait a while.

--
Matt Gushee