[clue-tech] The Great GPL v3 Debate Thread

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Jan 31 18:27:35 MST 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:10:13 -0700
marcus hall wrote:

> There are certainly many potential applications of that part of GPLv3,
> but the one that comes to my mind as an example is the TiVo.  TiVo runs
> on Linux.  The kernel and an initrd image are signed by TiVo.  The
> firmware loads the kernel and initrd from disk, then verifies that the
> signature is valid before executing the kernel.

Well, that's an interesting example. I'm not entirely sure what to make of
it.

When you "purchase" TiVo, do you own the box, or lease it? And do the
terms of use create a contract that says, "you will not twiddle this
b0xen"?

I'm a pretty firm believer in the right to contract. If people wish to
sign a contract that says they won't tweak the box, well that's their
decision.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E