[clue-tech] Sound problems w/ Jack

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Jan 31 18:44:22 MST 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:52:39 -0500
Roy J. Tellason wrote:

> Yah.  Low volume,  and then when you crank it up to compensate you also
> raise  the volume of the noise floor too,  which is why you're getting
> all sorts of  junk in there.

Test this out by finding a line-level source -- the output from a tape
player or CD player will do (a recording of Christopher Parkening or Paul
Galbraith would do ver well here, given what you're after), and running
that into your soundcard, then attempting the same effects. Uh, I'm
assuming you're plugging your pickup into the "line" input. I admit my
memory of this stuff is very hazy, but I'm pretty sure the pickup isn't
line level -- of course that'd be why you have a very low-level signal.
Another test would be to do away with the pickup, and mic your guitar, of
course plugging into the mic input on your card instead.

As an aside, I have a Takamine F360S I bought in ... must've been 1979.

Also, something to check would be "balanced" vs. "unbalanced" inputs. It's
been so long since I tinkered with this sort of stuff, I couldn't begin to
try and explain the difference. The docs for your Markley pickup should
say something about that. Probably you're OK there. My brain is also
telling me to wonder about impedance matching. I have all these terms in
there, and they pop up now and again, even though I don't recall how to
use them.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E