[clue-tech] Are colleges dumbing down computer degrees?

Kevin Cullis kevincu at viawest.net
Sat Jul 8 08:42:41 MDT 2006

On Jul 8, 2006, at 6:32 AM, erik at ezolan.com wrote:

> What do you think college is for? Unless they went to a Tech
> school, they
> should be well versed in theory, not the technical stuff. They've
> shown
> they can learn by graduating from college, now it's the business's
> turn to
> teach them what to do technically.

I think he had mentioned Univ of Arizona, which he considers to be a
tech school, not a full blown CS degree because they don't come out
with any theory knowledge.

Other posters comments are well taken, if their are student slackers
then no matter what you teach them they won't learn.

> Oh, right, Businesses don't want to teach anything anymore.

Not in this case, he was upset that what HE got as a CS education was
not nearly what he was seeing from some of his new workers getting.
He was upset that he had to go over stuff that should have been
learned before they got to their new job, not that he didn't want to
train them.

> And then there's the problem with incentive. Smart people used to
> get into
> the field because there was a future in it. Now if you want a job
> with a
> future, the smart people go into something else. Leaving just the
> people
> who like IT, and the leftovers.

Then this is the problem of businesses, they don't/won't pay what IT
is worth? As a friend of mine stated a few years back (he taught
classes in UNIX) was that years ago UNIX students in his classes were
engineers and knew the theories of CS while todays' students only
knew "point and click."

> And finally, how much was your friend's company paying? Enough to
> get the
> college grads who know what they're doing? Or only enough to get
> the less
> qualified ones that they will have to train up?

Good point. I didn't ask.

Kevin