[clue-tech] home network mystery

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 16:36:36 MDT 2006

On 7/9/06, Jab <jborer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Collins,
>
> I don't think you have given enough information to adequately
> troubleshoot the issue. We can probably lay aside the thought that it
> is a hardware issue or a network issue.
>
> I think the following information would be useful:
> Kernel versions

Various 2.6.... CentOS (RHis the lowest but RH puts in lots of
patches, so it's impossible to compare, Debian Etch has 2.6.15+ and
Ubuntu has 2.6.15+)

> The output of dmesg

Occasionally but not repeatably the followin messages after 'ifconfig
eth0 down/up'

...eth0: no link during initialization
...eth0: link is not ready
...eth0: ADDRCONF (NETDEV_CHANGE link becomes ready)

> Any errors from boot?

no

> Are you using devfs or udev?

all of these use udev

> Hardware information. Is the interface onboard or in another pci slot?

interface is nforce onboard - alllinux use forcedeth module

> What happens when you /etc/init.d/net.eth0 <start|stop|restart> or equivalent?

dhclient fails to get a lease

> My WAG is that the installation of the pci card changed the bus
> numbering and this may be the cause of your issue.

Excellent wag, but what to do if this is the case? The bios has been
flagged to turn off the internal sound card, but no other changes.

Windows appears to be immune to the changes, ie dhcp able to get an
address - 192.168.0.2 with gateway 192.168.0.1 which is the expected
assignment by the router for this particular cable.

My next experiment will be to rip out the soundcard again and return
to the status quo ante.

--
Collins Richey