[clue-tech] home network mystery

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 18:16:35 MDT 2006

On 7/9/06, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
> [...]
> > Occasionally but not repeatably the followin messages after 'ifconfig
> > eth0 down/up'
> >
> > ...eth0: no link during initialization
> > ...eth0: link is not ready
> > ...eth0: ADDRCONF (NETDEV_CHANGE link becomes ready)
> [...]
> > dhclient fails to get a lease
>
> What does dhclient say when it fails (should be in the logs)?  Is it the
> same for all distros?

Yes, all report no response doing a broadcast to 192.168.0.255.

> What does ethereal show when it tries to get a lease (best if you run
> ethereal on a different box)?

Don't have a box to do that from.

> If ethereal shows traffic you likely have a dhclient problem.  If not
> it's likely a driver problem--the hardware isn't ready when dhclient
> tries to use it.  That might have been caused by adding the sound card.

There's a good change that Jab has the answer. The box was only soft
booted between Windows and Linux, and this is an nforce MB like the
reported problem  (but not running 64-bit). I'll checkout the
situation again in a few days. I'm tired of disconnecting everything
and popping cards in/out at this point.

--
Collins Richey