[clue-tech] help with udev on Debian

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Jul 21 22:57:41 MDT 2006

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> [...]
>> I tried using dpkg to remove udev and hal and then reinstall.  No good.
>
> If you can't get it installed correctly it probably won't work.  But
> all the files you're missing are part of the package so you should try
> to figure out why it won't install.
>
> Removing udev is awkward since linux-image depends on it (indirectly).
> I wouldn't recommend forcing it.  What does apt say if you reinstall
> (apt-get --reinstall install udev)?
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.
Need to get 0B/256kB of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
(Reading database ... 109554 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace udev 0.093-1 (using
.../archives/udev_0.093-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement udev ...
Setting up udev (0.093-1) ...

You're right, those files are in the package.
> I don't have hal and the packages that depend on it aren't very
> interesting.  Can you just remove it?
Sure I can for now at least.  I wanted to be able to "suspend" or put on
"standby" through the gnome interface, and gnome-power-manager depends
on hal.  But actually, it didn't give me an option to standby anyway
from any of the screens I could tell.  So I'll just take it off.

Angelo