[clue-tech] Pristine root for restore

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 19:14:32 MDT 2006

On 7/22/06, mike havlicek <mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am having a bit of trouble creating a pristine root
> target for a level 0 restore from tape for my root
> partition. Ultimately I think the problem is perturbed
> from the fact that I have my root on a logical volume.
>
> The system is RHEL4-AS based. I am booting the system
> from an install CD going into rescue mode to perform
> the restore. It seems to be working for partitions
> other than root (root may work as well but I can't
> seem to umount it allowing me to mkfs it pristine...)
> Creating a new fs on a mounted area makes me
> nervous...
> I guess since I am not running from it ... it will be
> half way ok ... thus the good feelings from raw
> devices on other systems :)
>
> Any suggestions on doing a level 0 restore on root ???
> This works SO nicely with Solaris :)

When booting from CD in rescue mode, have you tried skipping the scan
for RedHat systems? This will get you to a shell prompt without
mounting anything.

OTOH, I've never had any probelm umounting the /mnt/sysimage
directories. If any of them are mounted on a root mountpoint, you have
to unmount all of them before you can unmount the root partition.

HTH,

--
Collins Richey