[clue-tech] Resampling audio files for CD

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Jul 23 18:57:41 MDT 2006

I found myself wanting to make an audio CD containing a selection of sound
files I have laying around, most of which are not CD-compatible WAV files.
So, I figured I could quickly run them through sox to convert them.
Unfortunately, when resampled to 44Khz, they're also "speeded up", though
not (judging by my ear) by the same factor as the resampling, i.e. appx. 1
- 4. I recall I had this problem in the past, even using polyphase and/or
rate to resample.

$ file 01.wav
01.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 8 bit, mono
11000 Hz
$ sox 01.wav -c 2 -r 44100 -w rs_01.wav resample 0.94 16
sox: Do not support unsigned with 16-bit data.  Forcing to Signed.
$ file rs_01.wav
rs_01.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit,
stereo 44100 Hz

I know I can also add the 'speed' effect to try to counter this, but it
seems to me that there ought to be an easier way. Also, with multiple
files, I want to avoid openning each individually in Audacity.

Any suggestions?

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/