[clue-tech] Low-memory laptop for a jukebox

Dave Price kinaole at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 14:53:07 MDT 2006

I am very happy with the combination of mpd - The Music Player Daemon
http://www.musicpd.org

and PHPMP - a nice web based front end for mpd - same url

Both will run on just about any distro - easy to build if there is no
package for your distro of choice.

mpd has very light hardware and memory needs and does not seem to miss
a beat or skip even on a heavily loaded machine.

mpd has no interface to speak of - but can be controlled by any number
of applications - command line ncurses, or web based -

PHPMP just needs apache and php, and lets you control playback from
any PC that can talk to the jukebox's web server.

aloha,
dave

On 7/27/06, Chris <katanacb at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hey there everyone,
>
> I'm looking (well, right now, just thinking about) creating a
> jukebox-type of machine out of an old laptop that I have, and I'm
> looking for some suggestions on setup, distribution choice  ... or
> someone to talk me out of it because I'm just asking too much out of an
> old machine.
>
> I've ripped my CD's to MP3 and have them stored centrally on my main
> machine here at home.  I can export the directory they are stored on as
> NFS or SMB, it doesn't matter to me but I would probably use nfs since I
> don't have any windows machines.
>
> The machine that I want to use as the jukebox (and that will be
> connected to my main stereo) is an older laptop that I have.  It's an
> IBM iSeries, which I believe is an old pentium 266MhZ machine with
> around 128MB of ram.  It was running Windows 98 before I got ahold of
> it.
>
> What I"d like to do is install linux on the laptop and connect it to my
> home stereo so that I can play all of my MP3's from the laptop which in
> turn is just pulling the MP3's off of an NFS share on the home server.
> Would be nice if the laptop was running some sort of Webserver so that I
> could just click on a filename and have it play out of the home system.
>
> Have heard of MythTV and the like but I think that this system isn't
> powerful enough to run that.  Maybe one day I'll upgrade the hardware
> but right now I'm just looking for a geek project.
>
> Any suggestions?  What distro should I throw on here (no need for it to
> run X), any suggestions for a jukebox, etc?  I've looked at puppy and
> DSL but not sure; I've always used the big boys before (RedHat, SuSE,
> mandrake, Ubuntu, etc).  Also, the CD drive is toast so I'm going to
> have to do a floppy boot and network install if that makes any
> difference.
>
> Thanks in advance ..
>
> -Chris

aloha,