[clue-tech] Low-memory laptop for a jukebox

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.net
Thu Jul 27 15:23:43 MDT 2006

Matt commented:

> I think you will have issues with network latency if you try to play
> the tunes directly from the network drive. I don't have much
> experience with network file systems, but offhand I think you'll
> probably want to do something like copy the song to a temp directory
> on the jukebox before playing it.

Nah, any reasonable 100Mb network can stream high-quality audio without
breaking a sweat.  I've got a central data server with my entire music
collection, and mount it via NFS to several Linux machines throughout
the house.  I can listen to music in my office while my wife listens to
(other) music in hers, and the kids are upstairs listening to still
other tunes.  I don't even have hiccups in the streams.

Remember that 128kbps MP3's (the most common bitrate) are pushing *at
most* 128 kilobits per second across the wire; if your network can
handle even 10 megabits per second you've got plenty of bandwidth.

$0.02,
Jeff