[clue-tech] Error installing Suse 10

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Jul 28 10:52:43 MDT 2006

Matt Atkins wrote:

> Is there a public FTP or HTTP server the PC can go to look for the
> installation files??  For some reason, the PC can't find it by itself.

The last time I tried SuSE (version 9?) they made it ultra-difficult to
do a Net installation because they don't populate their mirrors on their
installation media.

I tend to avoid SuSE unless it's absolutely required by a customer or
work -- it's just too "corporate".

Even the efforts of Novell to open it up more haven't really been all
that useful for them, in my humble opinion.

Are you tied to SuSE particularly, or would you take recommendations
from others on the list regarding possible other distros to give a try
on Linux?  There's lots of RedHat/Fedora gurus here and a good number of
Debian gurus hanging around here also.  And lots of people have "some"
experience with the derivative distros from those two code-bases.

Unless a bunch of SuSE experts here on the list suddenly pop out of the
wood-work to help you, you might wish to stick with distros you can get
more local help for.  Just a thought -- it's all about experimentation,
so do what you enjoy.

Nate