[clue-tech] Distro musings

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Sat Jul 29 15:22:14 MDT 2006

On Saturday 29 July 2006 03:10 pm, Collins Richey wrote:
> I've drifted in and out of quite a few distros over the past 8 years.
>
> Slackware - my first - not enough packages

Eh?  I don't see that here.

I started running linux back in 1999,  and started with Slackware.  I tried a
few other distros around that time period,  have a bunch of other CDs that
I've got here to try some others when I get around to it,  but have pretty
much stuck with slack ever since then,  having it running currently on three
different boxes here,  with plans for more in the works.

<...>
> What I am always looking for is a middle ground between the bleeding
> edge new development and the oldy-moldy enterprise distributions.

I'd be happier if some of the folks putting this stuff out there would point
out where they stand on that spectrum,  when release happens.

<...>
> Fortunately, Gentoo is very much window manager neutral.

So does slack,  as far as I can tell.  There's one thing to fiddle with when
you select what you want as your default,  and that's it.  Comes with both
KDE and Gnome in the distribution,  and probably some other lighter-weight
stuff that I haven't investigated yet.

-
M Dakin