[clue-tech] Distro musings and 8-bit stuff

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Sat Jul 29 18:51:30 MDT 2006

On Saturday 29 July 2006 07:39 pm, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:51:57 -0600
>
> Matt Gushee wrote:
> > > And yes, I've had the <shudder> privilege of doing
> > > exactly that. Interestingl bit of trivia: Caldera was the primary
> > > developer of the RPM package manager
> >
> > No kidding! So why isn't it called CPM?
>
> Probably so the SCO folks wouldn't confuse it with an OS for the Z80.
> (Anybody still have an old Kaypro laying around?)

Yes,  AAMOF.  I have one sitting on the top of the shelf behind me,  which has
a 50-wire ribbon cable hanging out of it (not original) that plugs into a box
(also here) that contains a couple of ST251 drives.  Which for a CP/M box is
a *massive* amount of space.  :-)

Also within sight are my old Osborne Executive (my first actual machine) and
my Imsai,  the only system I've got that has 8" drives.

Why?  Need something "8-bit" done?  :-)

And since we're on the subject,   does anybody know of any good cross-assembly
tools?  I'm looking for things like assembler and linker (and maybe perhaps
other stuff) that would run on a linux box and create object code for 8-bit
chips.

-
M Dakin