[clue-tech] necessity of external hardware firewall

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 17:35:46 MDT 2006

On 7/31/06, William <wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com> wrote:
> Talk about your big questions!

Yeah, I realize I'm asking for a drink from the firehose on this one
and I do appreciate your complete response.

> If you're asking whether you should get a hardware firewall, my answer
> is this:
> Absolutely, and fortify it with an additional layer of software
> firewalls!  Apply as many security techniques as you know how to and
> review your security footprint (scan your own network from both inside
> and outside) and performance regularly (check your logs)!  Good security
> requires diligence, patience, and luck.

Well that's pretty clear what you believe :)

I know you said this would be your last post, so feel free to hit me
off-list for this next one: what are the benefits of the external
firewall for a network with only one machine?  Will it provide some
extra protection (e.g. against a DoS) that IPTables alone wouldn't
give me?

Thanks,
Greg