[clue-tech] two monitors - the new fad

Adam bultman adamb at glaven.org
Thu Jun 1 15:23:23 MDT 2006

Wow, negative attitude "right out of the box", so to speak.

I used two monitors for quite some time - 3 years, perhaps?  Started off
with dual 17s,. moved to a 21" and a 19", then to two 17" LCDs.  It's
been around for a while, so I'd hardly call it a 'fad'.

It's useful if you do not have enough desktop real estate for all the
windows you need, and can't afford/refuse to waste the money on one of
the uber LCD monitors (of which your wide-screen varieties are more of a
fad than dual monitors.)

At my last two jobs, the number of programs I needed running - and more
importantly, VISIBLE - required more real estate than your regular
1024x768, and my eyes aren't good enough to be running 1600x1200 on my
17" LCD monitor.  The cheaper, effective solution is to have two
monitors.  Run thunderbird if you need it, and on your other monitor,
run your terminals, your nagwatch, your status terminal, and all that.
Some people choose to have less-needed things off on one monitor (I know
a few people who have email sitting up there, off to the side, with the
'primary' monitor front row, center) but I found it far easier to have
some things windowshaded (thunderbird) and then spread out my things
across the two monitors (using twinview).  I required more visible
windows than I had real estate, so it made perfect sense, and i was a
LOT more able to monitor multiple things at once, since my GAIM window
(with jabbers from the boss) didn't go overtop of my Nagwatch window,
and I neglected to notice that apache was down on a webserver.

Since becoming a 'contractor', I've gone down to one monitor (I would
have had to purchase my second LCD - it was owned by the company) but
have made aggressive use of tabs in gnome-terminal, and have been a bit
more forgiving about what windows are on top of what. Similarly,
gaim-guifications lets me know when I am getting instant messages, and
from whom, so that I a) don't neglect the boss, and b) don't have to
make gaim steal my focus each time I get a jabber.

I've run a number of window managers that let you 'tab' things together
(like fluxbox), made very good use of programs that allow you to
'shrink' the footprint of the program (like Eterm being borderless,
titlebarless, and scrollbarless) but it is simply easier and more
efficient to have multiple monitors.   Cheap these days, too.

If you are a busy person, either sysadmin or programmer (think
debugger/command shell  on one monitor and your IDE on the other) two
monitors will help you MUCH more than that wide-screen jobbies that
people are snatching up  that simply chop the top off your monitor (i.e.
remove the top 2" of your 1280x1024 monitor, and then suddenly you have
a 'widescreen' monitor, omg)

Adam