[clue-tech] two monitors - the new fad

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jun 1 19:00:30 MDT 2006

I guess I didn't say that there are people where I work who monitor the
system real time and they use 2 monitors (and multiple desktops) so that
everything they need is at their fingertips.  In fact there is talk
about moving to 4 monitors per person.

erik at ezolan.com wrote:
> I'd use them for two things. Web development. Have the code on one screen
> and the page open on the other. At a certain point, I'm usually tweaking,
> and it would be nice to just glance and work. Instead of shuffling between
> the text editor and the web browser.

I can see this being useful.  You have 2 screens worth of stuff you want
to look at for the same "task".

The other replies, "I need 53 different apps visible at the same time"
might make sense in an interrupt driven, system monitoring type job.
But for concentration work like programming I think it's just a
distraction.  When I'm concentrating on my Solaris screen it interrupts
me when my Windows screen blanks.

I'm sure many people will claim to be more productive when they can see
everything at once but if they're doing concentration work I don't think
they appreciate the cost of mental context switches.  Fred Brooks (I
think) says the same about listening to music while programming.