[clue-tech] Eclipse: What are people using it for

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Jun 2 09:55:51 MDT 2006

Ed wrote:

> I've started using eclipse for a bit of Java development, but I've
> discovered it has pluggins for Perl, C/C++, PHP...
>
> I'm just learning how to use it, but it seems to be the "greatest
> thing since sliced bread" (as my dear departed Ma used to say)
>
> ...I'd say it's the greatest thing since Emacs...
>
> My apologies if this is one of those religious war starters, but I'm
> curious how many people have become eclipse fans and ditched their
> other ide's. As I said, I've just started using it so maybe it has
> it's deficiencies. If so, what are they?

I guess I'll chime in.  I only tried out Eclipse briefly and then went
back to NetBeans.  To be honest I can't really remember what I didn't
like about Eclipse, but I definitely preferred NetBeans for
development.  Here is what I remember thinking:  1) Eclipse is bloated,
2) Eclipse is harder to configure the settings, 3) finding plugins is
sometimes hard.  I don't know, I just got the whole "jack of all trades,
master of none" feeling about Eclipse, but that was over a year ago.

But I will say this:  if you like emacs I'm not surprised you like
Eclipse ;)

Angelo