[clue-tech] Need new hardware (was two monitors)

Jack Parker jack.parker4 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 2 10:33:28 MDT 2006

Current client has provided me with a thinkpad T30.  Piece of junk, nice
box, but has been dropped on it's head once or twice too many times, the USB
ports drop a lot.  Otherwise it does the job.  Still, I've got 3 19"
monitors spread all over the home office, I don't really need the dual head
or care to pay for the power and deal with the extra radiation (I'm half
blind already).  I have to play windows to make nice with everybody else -
but do the real work on a dinky linux box in back (cygwin and ssh).

So now comes the question:

I need something with a little more oomph in the Linux department.  I do a
lot of database work, I'm self-employed (i.e. not a lot of excess cash).  At
least 4 disks and 2GB of RAM.  I've got my eye on a Dell PowerEdge 830 for
about $900 (P4 2.8Ghz - single core, 2GB, 1 160GB SATA drive (I'd plug in
three more I have here)).  What would the group look at in my shoes?

(The 4 disks is to spread the load across spindles.
 I am currently using a P3 with 700MB of RAM and three disks.
 CPU is 90% idle.  Disk and Memory are bottlenecks)

j.