[clue-tech] Need new hardware (was two monitors)

Adam bultman adamb at glaven.org
Fri Jun 2 12:03:30 MDT 2006

erik at ezolan.com wrote:

> For the technically minded, building your own PC is *easy*. And if
> something happens, and you need it to get fixed *right now*, you can run
> over to Compusa and pick up the part you need.
>
> If it's your income producing PC, all problems need to be fixed *right
> now*, and warranties on parts are far easier to invoke than warranties on
> whole machines.
>
> Now, it's possible to go buy a corp-made machine that's reliable and has a
> responsive warranty service. But not on a budget.

While getting production-quality machines is expensive for the
low-cash-flow individual, you DO pay a price for putting it together
yourself.   Yes, if your board dies, you can go get another one.  But
you have to gut the machine, call up their warranty people, wrangle with
THEM, and then wait a month while they repair it (I had an intel board
go bad - it came back with a soldered on wire.)  You can replace the
board yourself before that, but now you've sunk an extra $150 bucks on a
board.  What do you do with it now?

I've never again build a box from scratch for work. I put together my
workstation myself, but if I EVER put together another server, it'll be
the day I quit IT and start cricket farming.

Adam