[clue-tech] Need new hardware (was two monitors)

erik at ezolan.com erik at ezolan.com
Fri Jun 2 15:02:07 MDT 2006

> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> A repeat of a similar response posted a few moments ago.  If you want
> expandability and upgradability (and awesome support) from Dell, buy an
> XPS.  It doesn't get any better.

Hm, their regular sized PC, the XPS 400 has this note "The XPS 400
supports up to two hard drives". Even their top of the line 1800$ XPS 600
only goes up to 3.

Considering that he wants to use at least 4 hard drives, the XPS's aren't
feasable. Actually, short of a server, I'd be surprised if any Dell PC
could handle 4 hard drives. Didn't think of that.

>If you don't want to roll your own I'd check out Monarch Computers.  The
>one listed below is from their "value" workstation line.

I looked up the motherboard for that system on NewEgg. "Tried about 15
different distros of Linux. The worst. Have to say I tried Fedora 5 also
like the one reviewer said, no go."

Almost all of the reviews that mention Linux give it a thumbs down.

I've been poking around at Newegg, and this is the system I came up with:

A dual core CPU. AMD 3800+
580watt quiet power supply with detachable cables.
Two 1GB memory sticks, leaving room for two more.
Standard DVD burner, confirmed good with Linux.
Standard Asus motherboard with 4 SATA connectors.
Nvidia video card. Confirmed good with Linux.
One of the highest quality PC cases out there

Antec Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129154
580w PS    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817128001
MB         http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131569
2GB Mem    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231047
3800+ CPU  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562
CD/DVD ROM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152059
Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121214

830$ + shipping.

All parts have some sort of warranty included.

You can knock off another 47$ if you switch to a motherboard with built in
video, but I've found some graphics run more smoothly with a card.

Out of 360 reviews, only one mentioned linux for the Motherboard I picked
out. The linux compatibility test report looked ok though:
http://keylabs.com/linux/results/Asus_A8n5x.html

Erik Z